Wine Club

I'm on the Low Glycemic Mediterranean Diet due to high blood sugar and cholesterol. I'm not overweight, but I do have a sedentary job. I've been on the diet plan for two years and so far, so good. I have to be very careful to stick to it though. It doesn't take much for my blood sugar to start rising into the danger zone. The diet plan does have one perk: a glass of red wine per day is allowed.
Since having kids, I'm not much of a drinker, but I do like one beer on Saturday nights. Apparently, beer is the worst thing you could drink when you have blood sugar issues. The maltose beer is made from contains a glycemic index of 105. Sugar (sucrose) has a glycemic index of 68. Malt products, such as beer, raise your blood sugar higher than sugar. I was very shocked to read that in a book I bought, called The GI Mediterranean Diet. I had no idea beer was so bad for your blood sugar. My doctor never mentioned that. According to the book, if you are going to drink beer, it should be low carb. Red wine is best though.
I have been planning to join a Wine Club and have a class of red wine every night with dinner, but was going to wait a few years until the boys are a little bit older. I think I'm going to speed up that process and start looking for a wine club now, so that I can drink a glass of red wine on Saturday nights, instead of a beer.
Laura Wright, who plays Carly on General Hospital, and her husband John, operate a winery called Standing Sun. I will have to place an order from her sometime. Reviewers have said the wine is really good.
From what little research I've done so far on ordering wine, the shipping charges can get expensive. A website called Wine.com currently has a Cyber Monday penny shipping sale on orders over $49. That is an excellent deal. I may have to check it out.

Comments