HP MediaSmart Webcam Image Software

I bought my latest laptop about 6 months ago. It's an HP Pavilion 14.5" screen. It's small, light and very portable. Great for sitting in front of the tv every now and then while soaps are on. The screen on my old Dell stopped staying up, so now I can only use it with something propped up behind it. Kind of a pain while you are trying to sit on the couch.
One feature my new laptop has that my Dell didn't have is a webcam. I always thought about buying an external webcam, but I didn't think I would use it much. For the longest time, I didn't know how to operate my new webcam. I could never find any pre-installed software to help me turn the webcam on. I never made the time to really dig around or go online to look for free webcam software.
Well, one day I finally did make the time and guess what? My HP laptop did come pre-installed with webcam software. It's called HP MediaSmart Webcam software. It's really cool. Kind of strange seeing myself on the screen. The software also lets you take still photos. That feature is very handy. Now I can update my social network profile pics without having to send a picture to my computer from a digital camera or phone. You can do a little minor editing if need be, which is good to know in case of a Photoshop Fail. It's always good to have a backup.
The webcam software has an option to add effects to the webcam image. It's kind of silly. Some of the effects are flames over the head, smoke coming out of the ears, rain clouds, nurses hat like Jesse Brewer on General Hospital used to wear, witches hat, dog face, duckface, panda face, and a few other assorted masks.
The webcam software doesn't seem to let you add captions or text to the images though. Probably a good thing, since a lot of software has a funny autocorrect feature which tries to guess what you are saying and automatically fills it in. I'm sure some of the guesses can be funny, but it would annoy me.

Comments